Friday, March 25, 2011

The Runways

As spring break is only a week, and between work, catching up on school work, and hanging out with friends I don't have time to read as often as I'd like. But I am a big movie person. (Netflix saves my brain sometimes.) But this is my most recent watch. The Runaways, starring Kirsten Stewart and Dakota Fanning, are teenage girls in an all girl rock band in the 1970's. Because this movie is based off of Joan Jett's storyline of becoming famous, the ending is pretty depressing. But surprisingly, Kirsten Stewart is not awkward in this movie. Personally, I think she did pretty well in playing the determined Joan Jett. As we have watching Dakota Fanning grow up on the silver screen since the age of 6, she is all grown up now in this movie taking on the role of Cherie Currie, the band's 15 year old lead singer forced into the lifestyle of rock and roll: including sex and drugs in full force. Although I tried to not think about the lighting, shots, or technical aspects of this movie based on our readings from the text, it is becoming more and more noticeable with each chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment