Sunday, February 6, 2011

Socailly Networked Classroom

Well it's quite clear that we cannot disagree with many concepts in the beginning chapters. But I find 2 things more interesting than most: 1. I seem to very "old-school" when reading this 2. I really find it interesting how technology can be projected into a classroom.

THOU IS OLD-SCHOOL! There are somethings I do that I need a paper trail for. My best example is reading. I need to be able to hold books, articles, and be able to physically highlight and write notes in the margins. Moving a mouse around and typing keys just doesn't work for me. I'm still pro-flashcards when studying.

As I skimmed through Kist's book after reading the first chapter I really liked his ideas of how to incorporate technology into the classroom. It is all too clear that technology is everywhere, and it is only a matter of time that it forces itself into our classrooms. Why not embrace it? Although I never had to blog, or create a professional Facebook in high school, technology/ multi-modal aspects of learning were brought into high school. My biggest example is when were taken to the Cincinnati Contemporary Art Museum. Then afterward we had to create our own contemporary art that meant something to us. Many students around in self-made videos and music, paintings, or sculptures they created.

Last semester was a high point in technology for me in technology in the classroom. Waking up and meeting at 7:45 am (with is extremely early for me right now) we got to talk to other education majors from Cyprus. It was pretty awesome learning about their lifestyle.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Amanda. I still need to be able to read from a book that I am physically holding. I like to be able to mark things and write side notes for myself. I feel like I have a much harder time studying from a computer screen.

    ReplyDelete