Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Musicals!

So lately I've been watching a ton of musicals or watching shows with music in them. Right now it is The Sound of Music. I love everything about this movie: Julie Andrews, the time period, and the strength of the family as the world crumbles around them with the birth of WWII. And I think it's really interesting that music becomes so timeless. Even today, a 1965 movie is still loved and watched by all generations. Also just finished season six of Grey's Anatomy! It is quite clear that any artist that gets to have one of their songs on Grey's is starting their breakthrough! Whoever is the soundtrack director of that show defiantly gets a round of applause. I began thinking about my Wiki and Romeo and Juliet and I'm starting to like the lesson plan of having the students make soundtracks of the novel or unit more and more! It's a great way for them to connect to a text in a way that reaches to their lives personally.

4 comments:

  1. I love the Central Station video!!! I watched in like 20 times when it first came out. And Sound Of Music is absolutely timeless. One of my all-time favorite songs is Adelvice. I think the idea of making a soundtrack to accompany a novel is a great idea - especially since so many students turn to music as an outlet/hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's always pretty interesting to think about life with background music. Not only is it a good project for a book, but I think it would be pretty cool to see how the songs people pick reflect them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the idea of making soundtracks. I think that can really tell a lot about how you interpreted the text. You could even have them make a CD booklet with the lyrics and artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love musicals too, I think there is just something about a story told in song that just draws me in. I like the idea that students turn to music, and since we did study film, I'm sure we could incorporate musicals into the classroom and make them productive and conducive to student learning. :)

    ReplyDelete